Squishy sweets – a treat that's as fun to eat as it is to say.
These charming confections offer a delightful sensory experience, from the moment you pick one up to the final, satisfying squish in your mouth.
Each sweet is a small celebration, a little party that unfolds on your tongue.
The Wonder of Squishy Sweets: Your Buyer's Guide
A Glimpse into the History of Squishy Sweets
To fully appreciate squishy sweets, let's delve into their past.
Sweets have been around for centuries. The first sweets were made from honey by the ancient Egyptians and Romans. As sugar became more widely available in the Middle Ages, sweet confections, often mixed with fruits and nuts, became popular.
In the Victorian era, sugared almonds, sherbet dabs, and marshmallows arrived on the scene. These were considered squishy sweets and are predecessors to the ones we enjoy today.
The Lure of the Squish
What makes squishy sweets so appealing?
The answer lies in the unique sensory experience they provide:
- Texture: Squishy sweets offer an interesting texture, unlike that of hard candies or chocolates. When you bite into them, they give a satisfying squish before melting away in your mouth.
- Flavour release: These sweets take their time releasing their flavours, prolonging the delightful taste experience.
How to Choose Squishy Sweets
Here's what you should pay attention to when choosing your squishy sweets:
Ingredients: Always check the ingredients list. Some squishy sweets contain gelatine, which isn't suitable for vegetarians or vegans. Look for sweets labelled as vegetarian or vegan if this is a concern.
Flavours: Squishy sweets come in a multitude of flavours, from fruity to minty, sour to sweet. Go for an assortment if you enjoy a variety.
Brands: Some brands specialize in certain types of squishy sweets. If you have a favourite brand, stick to it. Otherwise, experimenting with different brands can be fun.
Delightful Types of Squishy Sweets
There's a wide variety of squishy sweets. Let's look at a few:
- Marshmallows: Soft and sweet, these can be enjoyed on their own or as a part of other desserts.
- Gummy bears: These fruity little treats come in an array of colours and flavours.
- Jelly babies: A classic British sweet, these are soft, jelly-like candies in the shape of little people.
- Wine gums: Despite the name, these don't contain wine. They're chewy and come in various fruit flavours.
Personalising Your Sweet Box
Personalising your sweet box can make the experience even more enjoyable.
You can choose exactly what goes into your box, ensuring you get your favourites. Mix and match to your heart's content. Maybe you want all gummy bears, or perhaps you'd prefer a mix of marshmallows and jelly babies. The choice is yours.
Enjoying Your Squishy Sweets
Squishy sweets aren't just for children; adults can enjoy them too. They can be a fun, nostalgic treat, reminding us of our childhoods.
Keep them in a cool, dry place to maintain their texture and flavour. You might be tempted to keep them in the fridge, but this can actually make them too hard.
Enjoy your sweets in moderation. While they're delicious, they are still sweets, and too many can lead to dental issues and weight gain.
Gifting Squishy Sweets
Squishy sweets make excellent gifts. Who wouldn't love a box of their favourite treats?
A personalised box adds a thoughtful touch. It shows that you know the recipient's tastes and took the time to choose sweets just for them.
Remember to consider any dietary restrictions the recipient might have.
Experimenting with Squishy Sweets
If you're feeling adventurous, you can use squishy sweets in baking or dessert making:
- Marshmallows in hot chocolate: This classic combo never fails. The marshmallows melt into the hot chocolate, making it creamier and sweeter.
- Gummy bear popsicles: Put gummy bears into a popsicle mould, fill with your favourite juice, and freeze. The result? A fun, fruity popsicle with a surprise inside!
- Jelly baby cupcakes: Top your cupcakes with jelly babies for a colourful, fun touch.
Squishy Sweets for Special Occasions
Squishy sweets aren't just for everyday snacking; they can make special occasions even more memorable.
- Birthday parties: Fill goodie bags with an assortment of squishy sweets.
- Weddings: Small boxes of personalised sweets make charming wedding favours.
- Holidays: Many companies make special holiday-themed squishy sweets. Look out for these to add some festive cheer to your celebrations.